ABOUT THE DIRECTORATE OF QUALITY ASSURANCE
With increased pressures of global competition, economic efficiency and need to produce skilled work force that meets the challenges of the 21st century, quality training in institutions of higher learning has become paramount. In this regard, the Directorate of Quality Assurance (DQA) at Machakos University (MksU) was first set up in October 2015 as a Division of Academic Quality Assurance and later converted into a full Directorate in 2017. The DQA at MksU seeks to promote quality assurance in academics and research, management and its divisions and all other support departments/sections in the University. DQA envisions to becoming a centre of scholarly excellence in the enhancement of quality standards in the University in line with the University’s Charter, Statutes, Strategic plan, ISO 9001:2015 Standards, guidelines and standards set by relevant commissions and regulatory authorities. MksU in delivering on its Vision of becoming a Model Institution has therefore tasked the Directorate of Quality Assurance (DQA) with the following specific mandates:
- Working with relevant University organs in defining and setting quality standards and benchmarks.
- Coordinating the development and review of policies and operational manuals, as well as instruments for use in internal evaluations, to guide Machakos University Quality Assurance (MksU QA) operations.
- Working with academic departments in assuring the quality of academic programmes, including coordinating, assessment of programmes, sensitizing, advising and guiding departments on the execution of QA activities.
- Coordinating analysis of students’ evaluation of teaching effectiveness as well as external examiners reports.
- Monitoring the implementation of recommendations from internal and external evaluation of academic programmes.
- Evaluating the quality of teaching facilities, including classrooms, lecture theatres, laboratory equipment, Information Communication Technology (ICT) and library services.
- Coordinating the acquisition and evaluation of the perception of stakeholders on the quality of academic programmes, products and services.
- Maximising the utilization of human resources in the delivery of services.
- Establishing linkages, partnerships and networks with various institutions to enhance quality of delivery of services.
- Giving recommendations, advice and guidance to the Council, Management Board, Directorates, Schools and Departments on QA matters.
- To implement and promote quality assurance structures and systems in all University academic and non-academic activities
- To provide guidance in development and implementation of internal and external quality assurance procedures and practices for academic and non-academic activities
- To facilitate development of a culture of continuous quality improvement through periodical assessments to achieve academic excellence
- Development of Quality Assurance monitoring tools
- Evaluation of Lecturers to assess teaching effectiveness
- Examination Invigilation Spot Check
- Standardization of Academic Programme Development
- Assessment of academic programmes
- Assessment of Academic resources to support academic programmes
- Evaluating post graduate students progress
- Monitoring the performance of Graduates in the job market
- Carrying out Students Learning Experience Survey
- Assessment of available learning facilities within the University
- Review of Quality Assurance Policy and other related issues